Wednesday, January 21, 2004

Someone started a thread about the different jazz magazines available on the message boards for All About Jazz. My pithy and intelligent (joke) comments were:

I think you have to take them with a grain of salt... there certainly are a lot of fluff pieces in the major jazz magazines, but JT does have columns from Gary Giddins and Nat Hentoff which are usually quite interesting.

Cadence is the only periodical that I subscribe to, I'll flip through the new Downbeat at the library (usually it doesn't take that long) and then flip through JT and Jazziz over a cup of coffee in one of the bookstores.


With the profusion of Internet sites devoted to music, I think it's difficult for the glossy magazines to cover all of their expenses. This is one of the things that lead to press releases being turned into features and the lack of edgy commentary in some of these magazines - they don't dare bite the hand that feeds them.

Send comments to: Tim