Tuesday, February 10, 2004

I hit Izzy’s Records in Linden, NJ on Sunday and found some pretty interesting music to satisfy a vinyl compulsion:

Lonnie Smith – Think!
Muddy Waters – King Bee
Roland Shannon Jackson – Texas
Talking Heads – The Name of This Band is Talking Heads
Chris McGregor – Brotherhood of Breath

They all look good, but the one I’m most excited about is the Talking Heads record which covers the band’s live performances from 1977-1981 and is OOP on compact disc. I think the McGregor is available on disc, I became interested in it because it gets a lot of airplay on Radio @ Netscape’s “avant-agrde” channel. It’s a progressive big band outing from 1970. Listening to it I was very impressed, it brought to mind some of Sam Rivers large ensemble recordings. The AMG review recommends this to fans of Don Cherry or Sun Ra. I agree, it’s really interesting stuff.

Send comments to: Tim