Sunday, March 06, 2005

I Need a Support Group

Adapted from an e-mail I sent to a friend...

It was a nice day and I had some time to kill, so I thought I'd take a ride and listen to Andrew Loog Oldham's show on the radio... so I drove down to Red Bank. Red Bank has lost some its charm for me since both of their used bookstores and the Groove Spot (a strange record/toy/junk store) closed, and the town seems to be overrun with wanna-be hipsters who desperately deserve to be pushed into the next available open manhole.

But I went to Jack's Music Shop anyway, not expecting much - I was in a record mood and usually they just have boxes of molding Guy Lumbardo records. But for some reason lightning struck and I was pulling record after record from the used bin. Blue Note and Riverside jazz, Chess blues, old garage blues from the Animals... I bought 21 freakin' records! What killed me is that they had them marked $2.99 or less. I paid $50 for the whole shot - if I tried that in Princeton or Izzy's (other Jersey record stores) I would have been laughed out of there. Very bizarre...

The euphoria wore off on the way home... more records. You know on the news when they occasionally have those stories of old ladies that have 100 cats? I'm really starting to worry that I'm going to become known as the "crazy record man" and the men in the white coats cannot bevery far behind!

Send comments to: Tim