Sunday, November 06, 2005

Chasing Mustafaa

I heard from my friend John that he had uncovered some more jazz records at the store where he works. Never one to refuse a little record shopping on my day off I went up there only to find they were his records. Mustafaa... again. Let me explain. In the jazz vinyl bins of records stores up and down the east coast of the United States there are classic records from the 60's and 70's and the cover of each one has written in bold magic-marker script... Mustafaa. Who is this enigmatic man of mystery, and why have I found his records in stores from Albany, NY to Alexandria, VA? Why did he sell his records? Is it like The Da Vinci Code - if I collect all of his records, will the meaning of life be revealed? The plot thickens...

Oh yes, these are the records I bought:

Milt Jackson - Vibrations
Blue Mitchell - Heads Up!
Johnny Griffin - Wade in the Water
Johnny Griffin & Eddie 'Lockjaw' Davis - Lookin' at Monk
The Crazy World of Arthur Brown

Send comments to: Tim