Friday, December 08, 2006

Normally I'm not too impressed by the Grammy nominations in any particular year, and this year is no exception, except for one catagory:

Category 48: Best Jazz Instrumental Album, Individual or Group (For albums containing 51% or more playing time of INSTRUMENTAL tracks.)

Sound Grammar
Ornette Coleman
[Sound Grammar]

The Ultimate Adventure
Chick Corea
[Stretch Records]

Trio Beyond — Saudades
Jack DeJohnette, Larry Goldings & John Scofield

Beyond The Wall
Kenny Garrett

Sonny, Please
Sonny Rollins
[Doxy Records]

That's not too shabby of a list... the Coleman, Rollins and Trio Beyond discs will most likely show up on my top 10 for this year and the Garrett has some very good moments. It's also interesting to see three albums nominated that are by independent musician run labels. The Corea is the weak link for me, I love his acoustic piano playing but this fusion-lite concept album left me cold.

If I ruled the world, I think my nominees for this category would be: Andrew Hill - Time Lines (Blue Note), Ornette Coleman - Sound Grammar (Sound Grammar), Vandermark 5 - A Discontinuous Line (Atavistic), Sonny Rollins - Sonny, Please (Doxy) and Ben Allison - Cowboy Justice (Palmetto). While we're at it, my nominees for Contemporary Blues Album would include: Joe Louis Walker - Playin' Dirty (JSP) and Harmonica Shah - Listen at Me Good (Electro-Fi); and nominees for the pop/rock fields would have to include Elvis Costello & Allen Toussiant - The River in Reverse and Neko Case - Fox Confessor Brings the Flood (Anti).

Send your nominees to: Tim