Sunday, August 05, 2007

I received an e-mail from the Princeton Record Exchange saying that they had a huge cache of new (used) vinyl records for sale, so like Pavlov's Dogs responding to their masters bell, I drove down on a hot Saturday afternoon. It was well worth the effort as they had a load of ECM jazz discs for the princely sum of $2.99 each amongst other things. For thirty dollars, I picked up the following:

Old and New Dreams - Playing
Kenny Wheeler - Gnu High & Deer Wan
James "Blood" Ulmer - Part Time
George Adams - Sound Suggestions
Jan Garbarek - Dis
Ray Charles - The Genius Sings the Blues
Shirley Scott - The Great Live Sessions (The Dedication Series Vol. 3)
Chuck Berry - The Chess Box (6 LP's and a huge booklet... for $12!)

On my way back to the parking garage, I noticed a jazz band setting up for a free concert in Palmer Square so I found a shady spot and stuck around for a set. The band was apparently called Seven Steps and they were pretty good, playing Mr. P.C., A Night in Tunisia, My Funny Valentine and Stolen Moments. The tenor player had a nice deep sound, but the keyboardist seemed to be going for a slinky mid-70's CTI vibe and and I finally struck out for greener pastures when he broke out the synthesized strings for an unknown ballad.

Now playing: Mississippi Fred McDowell - [You Gotta Move CD1/1 #13] When I Lay My Burden Down
via FoxyTunes

Send comments to: Tim