Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Congratulations to Ross Lawson at Illasounds for his 100th podcast, a celebration of trumpeter Freddie Hubbard's 70th birthday: "All tracks feature Freddie Hubbard (trumpet, flugelhorn) with Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers, Herbie Hancock, McCoy Tyner, Wayne Shorter, George Benson, Joe Henderson, Hank Mobley, Jimmy Heath, Tommy Flanagan, John Gilmore, Cedar Walton, Julian Priester, Tina Brooks, Curtis Fuller, James Spaulding, Ron Carter, Paul Chambers, Sam Jones, Philly Joe Jones, Lenny White, Louis Hayes, Jack DeJohnette and Elvin Jones."

Tom Hull has posted another edition of his Jazz Consumer Guide on his blog: "So I did something different this week as an experiment. I used Rhapsody to stream a bunch of jazz albums I never received. I think my first idea was that I might find a usable dud, but I soon got distracted by more interesting fare. I also have to report that I had a lot of trouble finding things. Mainstream European labels that I have been wanting to hear more from, like Criss Cross and Steeplechase, are not available. Avant-garde stuff is very spotty. Last year's "wish list" came up virtually empty, and checking stuff off the Voice's jazz poll didn't offer much more. And in the end I didn't bother with the few pop jazz things I thought of (Chris Botti, Kenny G) -- figured I'd just as well spend my time with, well, see below."

Big Road Blues wraps up their weekly radio broadcast with a nice post about Forgotten Blues Heroes of Chicago: "The idea is to provide shows devoted to lesser known blues greats who don’t have enough recordings to build a whole show around. Most shows will spotlight a few different performers who usually have some connection to one another. Our series kicks off with a batch of great unheralded Chicago artists who’s heyday was the 1950’s and 1960’s."

Send comments to: Tim