Tuesday, April 22, 2008

There is an interesting interview with composer and flautist Nicole Mitchell at Open Sky Jazz (via Avant Music News): "In fall 2005 I finally had the opportunity to meet Octavia Butler at Chicago State University’s Black Writer’s Conference and I found her presence to be as unique and intriguing as her work. I decided to make a proposal to Chamber Music America’s New Works Creation and Presentation Program and the day after I put it in the mail I discovered that Octavia Butler had died suddenly. With that shocking news I decided that with or without the commission I would have to do the project."

An interview with jazz writer Ted Gioia in Bagatellen allerted me to the new website he is curating, jazz.com. "Web writing is usually the exact opposite – a place where people toss off random thoughts, often poorly thought out and rarely backed by research."

Big Road Blues reviews their weekly radio with some typically intelligent commentary: "From the Vee-Jay label we spin a pair from the label’s big hit makers, Jimmy Reed and John Lee Hooker; “I Know It’s A Sin” and “Canal Street Blues” are a pair of great moody blues. From 1957 we clock in with Buddy And Ella Johnson’s “You’ll Get Them Blues.” With his sister Ella serving for decades as his primary vocalist, pianist Buddy Johnson led a large jump blues band that enjoyed tremendous success during the 1940s and ’50s."

Send comments to: Tim