Monday, May 06, 2013

Vinyl record shopping

Went used vinyl slumming yesterday at Jack's Music in Red Bank. I really don't have a lot of money to spend, but it crate digging beats the depression back, so I'll make do. They had a bunch of pre-Dark Side Pink Floyd which is my favorite period for the band. It all goes downhill after Dark Side IMHO. They were priced a little steeply - $7.99 so I just picked up Meddle which was one of *the* albums when I was in college. I don't know who first hipped us to Meddle, but within a week we were all humming "San Tropez" and singing "Fearless" under out breath. Good times. Apart from that I picked up an Art Tatum 2-LP compilation (with no discographical information so its something of a mystery.The 3-LP Yessongs was available cheap, the cover with the great Roger Dean artwork was a little worn but the vinyl despite being thin and flimsy seemed quite playable. Rounding out the bunch was an excellent copy of Duke Ellington's Piano in the Foreground, a great set with the Duke leading a trio with bass and drums. I think his piano playing is just fascinating, and there were sections, particularly on "Con-Go" that sounded as out as anything else of that vintage with odd voicings and percussive notes and chords.

Send comments to Tim.